Using Glance with Custom Objects
Out of the box, Glance is configured to easily work with Accounts, Campaigns, Cases, Contacts, Leads and Opportunities. If your Glance users are primarily working from Custom Objects or cloud-unique objects like Person Accounts or Households, there are a few extra steps to enable Glance for those objects:
- Add a Lookup field to the Glance Session object for your custom object.
- Configure the Glance Buttons for that object in Company Settings.
- Add the Glance buttons to that object’s record page.
NOTE: Support for Custom Objects is only available in Lightning Experience. While you have the ability to set up Custom Objects in Salesforce Classic, using Glance with Custom Objects is only available in Lightning.
Here are the detailed steps:
Add a Lookup Field to the Glance Session Object
A Lookup field defines a relationship between a Glance Session record and a custom object record. This makes it possible to log Glance Sessions related to custom object records and appear in a Related List on that object.
Edit Glance Session Object in Lightning
- From Setup in Lightning, go to Object Manager.
- Click Glance Session.
- Click Fields & Relationships.
- Click New.
Edit Glance Session Object in Classic
- From Setup, in Quick Find, enter Objects.
- Under Create, click Objects.
- Click Glance Session.
- At the top, hover over Custom Fields & Relationships and click New.
Add the Lookup Field (Lightning or Classic)
- At Step 1, select Lookup Relationship and click Next.
- At Step 2, in the dropdown, choose your custom object and click Next.
- At Step 3, enter a Field Label and Field Name. The default for Field Label is fine, but it helps if Field Name has ‘Glance_’ before it (ex:’Glance_Household’). Then click **Next**.
- At Step 4, set field-level security if you like, then click Next.
- At Step 5, Click Next to add the field to the default Page Layout.
- At Step 6, you have an option to add a Glance Sessions related list to that object’s record’s page layout.
- Click Save to create the field.
Move the New Lookup Field in the Glance Session Page Layout
- In Classic while still in the object editor, at the top, hover over Page Layouts and click Edit next to Glance Session Layout.
- In Lightning while still in the Object Manager, on the left, click Page Layouts, and then Glance Session Layout.
- Move the newly-created Lookup field from the Information section into the Related Records section.
- Click Save.
Configure the Glance Buttons for the New Object
With the Lookup relationship in place, you can now configure the Glance Buttons for the object.
- Return to Glance Company Settings from the App Launcher or from the Glance app.
- At the top, click Edit.
- In the Glance Buttons section, click Add.
- In the new row where it says –None–, click the dropdown and select your custom object.
- Configure the rest of the rows for your custom object.
- Scroll back to the top and click Save.
Add the Glance Buttons to Your Custom Object
After the relationship is defined and the buttons are configured, the last step is to actually add the buttons to your record page for your users to access.
To add the Glance Buttons in Lightning, simply follow the previous steps earlier for adding the Glance Lightning Component to a Lightning Record Page, and save it.