Trouble Starting a Session?
Challenges with Connecting
Typical connection issues include:
- Firewall blocks the download
- Guest cannot find the downloaded file
- Guest chooses not to "run" the download
- Security software prevents guest from running the download
- Guest lacks privilege to install the download
- Guest's security software quarantines the executable
- Guest's corporate firewall blocks its connection
Glance Screen Share employs multiple browser-based technologies and automatically selects the best one to use with each guest. Everyone connects quickly, sees virtually no UI that might confuse or distract them, and never finds unwanted icons left behind.
To adjust guest connections:
- Connect instantly (no download), usually with a general purpose viewer or
- Get a compact, high performance viewer, which most first-time guests install in less than 15 seconds.
In the first option, there is no download, install, security warning or additional clicks. Guests connect instantly with their favorite browser on any PC, Mac or Linux computer, smartphone (iPhone, Android, Blackberry) or tablet (iPad, Android). Glance Screen Share's general purpose viewer runs inside the Guest's browser, using AJAX technology. The device does not need Java or Flash, nor does the Guest have to install a plug-in or download a custom app. Afterward, the session ends, and nothing is left behind.
The second option lets hosts ensure that their guests enjoy the best possible viewing experience. As each guest joins the session, Glance Screen Share silently and automatically selects the best viewer technology to use. The various Glance Screen Share viewers download quickly (less than 1.5 MB) and set up in seconds, often without additional clicks.
- ActiveX Control for Internet Explorer on PCs
- Native (executable) viewer for Firefox, Chrome or Opera on PCs
- Unsigned (running sandboxed) Java applet viewer for Java-enabled browsers on PCs and Macs
- Built-in native viewer for Guests joining from a PC or Mac that already has the Glance thin client
- AJAX viewer for PCs, Macs and any modern mobile device (smartphones and tablets) Should Glance Screen Share's best first choice fail, it automatically tries the second (or even third) choice. Glance Screen Share supports every technology needed to connect nearly any device, quickly and reliably.
Glance was downloaded and installed, but the session won't start
If you cannot start a session, check to make sure Glance (or Glance.exe) appears in your security software's list of allowed programs. Most third-party internet security programs are designed to prevent a new application on your computer from talking to the internet. A security program will usually prompt you the first time you start a Glance session. Tell it to Always Allow Glance access to the internet. You might try momentarily disabling the security software to see if the problem goes away. Contact your IT specialist or call Glance if you need assistance with configuring it.
Common products that could interfere with your Glance Screen Share sessions include:
- Norton™ Internet Security
- Norton™ Antivirus
- ZoneAlarm® Internet Security Suite
- Kasperski® Antivirus
- AVG™ Anti-Virus
- Google™ Web Accelerator
On Windows, I get an error that says "Glance Is Already Running"
On Windows, when launching the Glance Client, I get this error:
To resolve this issue:
- Navigate to your Windows tray and find all instances of Glance:
- Click on the Gear icon > Advanced, and select the Option to Exit Glance.
- Repeat this for each "G" icon you have.
- Relaunch Glance from your applications Menu.
Whenever you want to use Glance moving forward, it will be available in your Tray. Always launch Glance from your Tray.
The message "Glance is unable to connect securely" when starting a session
If you try starting a session and get a message saying "Glance cannot connect securely…", there's a problem accepting our SSL certificate.
To disable Glance's secure login feature, follow the steps below:
For PC users
- Click the G icon in your system tray. A menu is displayed.
- Choose the Settings option.
- Select the Account tab.
- Place your pointer in the large blank space below the Manage button.
- While holding down the Shift key on your keyboard, double-click your mouse.
- A Network information section is displayed. Uncheck Secure login.
- Click OK.
For Mac users 1. Click the G icon in the Menu Bar (near your clock). A menu is displayed. 2. Choose the Settings option. 3. Select the Account tab. 4. In the Network information section, uncheck Secure login. 5. Close the Settings window.
Desktop background vanishes when a Glance Screen Share session starts
Many background designs are detailed, which creates data that Glance has to transmit. To speed performance, Glance usually turns off your computer's background during a session. The background reappears when your Glance session ends.
If you would prefer to keep your desktop background visible during sessions, follow these steps:
- Click on the G icon.
- Select Settings.
- Click on the Advanced tab.
- Uncheck Hide desktop background.
Connecting through a corporate firewall or network security device
Glance works through most network security devices. However, some may have a network policy that disrupts Glance sessions. Your guests might not be able to connect or your session might pause or drop unexpectedly — a few seconds or even a few minutes after your guests connect. You may be able to start another session (or your guest might manually reconnect), only to see the new connection fail again in the same manner.
If you or your guest connect through a corporate network and experience any of these symptoms, contact your respective IT department for help resolving the issue.
For best performance, have the IT specialist add a rule that allows outbound TCP/IP connections to destination port 5500 on Glance servers in the domains glance.net and glanceops.net. Alternatively, add the rule for Glance's IP address blocks, listed in here.